The PCB welcomed the document on HIV/AIDS and the Education Sector and endorsed the process for developing a coordinated strategy in the education sector to support and strengthen regional and national responses. The PCB recommended the following:
That UNAIDS in cooperation with Cosponsors strengthen advocacy for:
- mobilization of resources for the education sector to reinforce its capacity in general and more specifically to build up a more proactive role in HIV prevention and AIDS impact alleviation;
- integration of AIDS education in formal and nonformal programmes carried out not only by the education sector but also by other development sectors. In addition, documentation of:
- culturally appropriate and age-adapted best practices;
- effective contributions of young people in AIDS education, especially as peer educators;
- sensitization and mobilization of those responsible for the educational sector in countries on issues related to sexuality and prevention of HIV/AIDS as education concerns, so that they be fully accepted as the responsibility of the educational sector;
- addressing socio-cultural obstacles to implementation of comprehensive drug and sexuality education programmes.